Description

The town of Razlog is located in the middle of the Razlog Valley. The name of “Razlog” was first mentioned in an official document of the Byzantine Emperor Vasilii II from 1019. Despite that, the town bore the name of Mehomia until 1923. At the end of the 19th c., it was the center of an individual ‘kaaza’ (municipality) in the Serres ‘Sandjak’ (District). The town was burnt during the Ilinden-Preobrazhensko Revolt, and 45 people were killed. Razlog was liberated on 11 (24) October 1912 and the local Turkish population moved out together with the Ottoman troops.

Razlog Historical Museum is situated in Parapunovs’ House which is a cultural monument of national importance. The town hosts many other Renaissance houses of the Razlog-Chepino architectural type, designated as cultural values and offering opportunities as a tourist resource to accommodate visitors and to demonstrate the traditional way of life of the area. The town center, the ensemble of houses surrounding it and the railway station at Turatsite locality are also cultural monuments of local importance.

An important landmark of Razlog is the Sveti Georgi Church from 1834. In 1835, they built a church school in the yard which was turned into a secular one in 1858. The new two-floor building of the modern Svet Sveti Kiril & Methodi School was erected in 1891. The town hosts one of the biggest churches in Blagoevgrad District called Sveto Blagoveshtenie, consecrated in 1939. About 2 km south of the town, one can find the remains of an early cross-domed church named Sveta Troitsa.